This is my quick version of BBQ. I chose chicken because it tenderizes quickly and is inexpensive. I prefer to use boneless, skinless thighs for added flavor and moist texture. But chicken breast would also work. I don’t normally use products from a can, but the convenience is nice sometimes… feel free to use fresh pineapple if you have it on hand. You can also prepare this in a crockpot if you prefer, however my dutch oven does the job and very quickly!
Easy BBQ Chicken
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken (thighs or breasts)
- In a dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Stir in garlic, cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add pineapple, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt and paprika. Stir well to combine.
- Add chicken. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for at least 1 hour, preferably 2 hrs.
- Use two forks to gently pull chicken apart. Allow meat to absorb the liquid and flavor.
- Serve on your favorite gluten free bun with some coleslaw if desired.