Traditionally pesto is made with fresh basil, but the other night I didn’t have any on hand so I decided to substitute with some fresh curly kale leaves. We were pleasantly surprised with the creamy texture and spicy kick from the garlic. Perfect to spread on a sandwich, toss in some noodles, or used as a flavorful dipping sauce for grilled chicken and veggies. I have also been using it in my scrambled eggs in the morning. Yum.
Garlicky Kale “Pesto”
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 oz pine nuts
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- drizzle of honey (opt)
- Pulse together kale, garlic, and pine nuts in blender or food processor.
- Stream in water and olive oil until creamy.
- Add salt, lemon juice and parmesan cheese until combined.
- Add touch of honey if desired.
- Keeps in fridge up to one week.