These are a bit more indulgent than your average scone… chocolate for breakfast? Yes. I am a grown up now, and I decided that’s ok. I am hearing more and more about the health benefits associated with dark chocolate. So yes, I am going to improve my health with a dose of antioxidant packed dark chocolate for breakfast :)
Gluten Free Chocolate Chunk Scones
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup almond flour, packed
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Whisk together eggs, butter, and honey.
- Add all dry ingredients except chocolate. Combine well.
- Stir in chocolate.
- Scrape dough onto plastic wrap and flatten into a 6 inch round disc. Chill.
- Remove from fridge and cut into 8 wedges. (dough will be sticky, clean your knife in between cuts)
- Place on parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve while still warm. Enjoy!
*yields 8 scones.
*alternatively you can scoop the dough right away and bake them- the chilling process just makes it easier to cut into wedges