Can you believe that I have never made baked beans before? It was something I always relied on someone else to bring to a potlock… However, with all of my now known food intolerances – this is something I must make myself. So here is what I came up with. Keeping true to my cooking aesthetic, I’ve kept this recipe simple. Enjoy!
Honey Baked Beans
- 1 lb small white beans, soaked overnight
- 12 oz bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 5-6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 300.
- In a large dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp.
- Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, dry mustard, and water. (Start with 5 cups)
- Add honey.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover with lid and bake for 2 hours.
- Check to see if there is enough water, add more at this time if needed. Continue to bake with the lid off for 1 more hour, until thick and beans are cooked through.
- Lastly, stir in the apple cider vinegar, and taste to make sure it is seasoned well with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
What I love most about baked beans is that they can be made ahead of time and re-warmed right before serving.