This simple recipe makes a delightful breakfast treat or even qualifies as a dessert in this household. Figs are in season right now, so take full advantage of their availability and freshness. Not only are they sweet and delicious, they are also a rich source of dietary fiber, potassium and calcium. I used Organic Brown Turkey Figs, but any fresh figs you find would work. They do not have a long shelf life, so only buy them a day or 2 before you plan to eat them.
Simple Roasted Figs
- 8 oz fresh figs (6-8)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- plain yogurt
- toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Cut figs in half, place in baking dish.
- Melt together the coconut oil and honey. Stir in cinnamon.
- Pour glaze over figs and coat them. Place figs cut side down.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, remove from oven.
- Turn broiler on high. Flip figs over, cut side up.
- Broil for 5 minutes, until nice and golden.
- Serve figs warm over plain yogurt, drizzled with the honey glaze and topped with walnuts.