This simple side dish is an easy replacement to any pasta. It has a wonderful flavor and texture and a kick with the red pepper flakes. It only involves a little bit of prep time, but these noodles cook up in just minutes! Eating gluten and grain free has never been easier :)
So be sure to take full advantage of the abundance of fresh zucchini! This is also a wonderful way to get your kids in the kitchen. They will have a blast making their own “pasta”. My kids always seem more excited about eating a meal that they helped prepare.
Zucchini Ribbon Pasta
- 3 large zucchinis
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- First you need to wash your zucchini. Trim the top and bottom off. Then with a vegetable peeler, make long ribbons. I go from the outside in, trying to get a little bit of green in each peel. You will be left with a little bit of the center, I like to chop that up and saute for a little pre-dinner snack for the kids. Or even better, throw it into whatever dish you have cooking. Don’t waste any bit of the zucchini.
- Heat a large saucepan, add about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes. Once fragrant, add in your zucchini ribbons.
- Saute until slightly tender about 3-5 minutes. I like to keep mine, shall we say “al dente”? Basically, you don’t want a big bowl of mush.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
*yields 5-6 servings