This is not your grandma’s green bean casserole… fresh haricot verts, baby portobello mushrooms, crispy shallots, and a creamy parmesan sauce come together to make the most flavorful and delicious dish.
Green Bean Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 oz baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash of nutmeg
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup broth
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb haricot verts, halved and lightly steamed
- 3 oz shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup almond flour or finely chopped almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil. Add onions and saute until translucent. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add butter and mushrooms. Cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and nutmeg. Add garlic. Cook another minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add broth, scraping up any bits on the pan. Let some of the broth cook out for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in greek yogurt and parmesan cheese. Until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Fold in steamed green beans. Spread mixture into a 2 quart dish. Set aside and prepare topping.
- Combine topping ingredients, evenly coating shallots with cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle topping onto casserole and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and bubbly.
*this casserole will serve up to 8 guests. double the recipe if feeding a crowd!