Scalloped Potato Gratin
This is by far the best potato gratin recipe out there. It’s so simple, yet the flavors and texture are, dare I say, perfect? Like the recipes I create, this one by Tyler Florence has a short ingredient list. Love it.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg.
- While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish.
- Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over the potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan.
- Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes.
I love when I find good recipes that are naturally gluten free!
* I am currently not eating potatoes (SCD), but I do still make this dish for my family and friends. And don’t look too closely, I didn’t peel my potatoes :P