Happy 1st Birthday!
Today marks the first birthday of my blog. I can’t believe it’s been a whole year. I’m still not quite sure what I am doing, but I’m having fun so I guess that’s all that matters :P I figured why not celebrate with a fantastic cake recipe. This recipe has a few more steps to it than most, but the end result is a light and airy yellow cake. Most gluten free cakes with nut flour can feel heavy and dense, so I was very surprised with just how delicate this cake turned out. It reminds me a little bit more of the yellow birthday cakes I grew up eating in my childhood. Top it was some homemade chocolate buttercream and you’re set!
I also wanted to take the time to say thanks for those who follow my blog and I really appreciate the feedback and comments. I hope everyone has a blessed day!
Fluffy Yellow Cake
- 6 eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup almond flour, packed
- 1/3 cup coconut flour, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 325.
- Beat your eggwhites to stiff peak and set aside.
- Cream together your butter and honey, until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes using the paddle attachment).
- Add your room temperature egg yolks to the butter mixture, one at a time. Scraping down the sides often with a spatula.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all of your dry ingredients.
- Add your dry ingredients to the creamed butter mixture. Beat for 1 minute.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Fold in your eggwhites, in thirds to slowly lighten the mixture. Do NOT beat it in, gently fold in your eggwhites with a spatula.
- Scoop into lined cupcake tins and bake for 20-22 minutes, until they test clean with a toothpick.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
*recipe yields 14-15 cupcakes, 2 8inch round pans, or 9×13 baking dish.